Sunday, September 21, 2008

McNamara chapter 1

Reaction to chapter 1-Language testing, McNamara

It occurred to me while reading this chapter that I have never thought about differences between types of tests. The explanation on page 4 was very helpful for my understanding of language testing: a. language tests have a major role in people’s lives b. using results of tests to determine placement for students c. used in research as a measure of language, etc.

In reading the chapter, I realize how important it is to understand testing and assessment. Learning about the method and purpose, knowing the difference between achievement and performance, knowing the importance of validity and so on! So much to think about. Learning to question and not being afraid to do that is going to take practice and determination for me.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Hey Sarah! You're an official blogger! Look at that kick butt slide show. I don't even have a slide show on mine.

I agree that there was a ton to think about in this chapter. All those different types of tests and all those words in bold. I felt like I was highlighting all over the place.

This chapter also made me sit back and think about the types of tests I give as well but more importantly, why I give certain tests and if those tests truly are worthwhile.

I think I have a lot to learn about assessment. Already the wheels in my head are spinning around and I am thinking of how I can improve and change this particular area of my teaching.

Did you get all that stuff about criterion and tests? I'm a little confused about all that.

sarahbass said...

What I got out of test and criterion is that criterion is what is "supposed" to be, what the test does then is to make inferences on the criterion, like; "if........then....". I hope you understand this. That's what I got out of that.
Anyhow, Erin, how are you? I am getting over a dumb-ass cold-getting over laryngitus,(or is it laringytus?) I can't wait to get out and breath in the cold, fresh air!