Monday, October 20, 2008

testing the test

McNamara Chapter 5: testing the test

When testing a test, it is done to make sure that it is valid. There has to be enough data-right data – to make sure it is valid. Sometimes the test is said to have been tested, but there is no evidence of data to verify it, therefore that test is not valid. Sometimes the data does not match the context, or what it is suppose to test, therefore the content is not valid. I know what valid means in everyday terms, and I hope that I am understanding it correctly in terms of second language acquisition. I think after the face to face in Bethel, I might have gotten validity and reliability confused, and therefore I am having to think about it too much!

When I think validity in terms of second language assessment, I’m thinking that validity is when the data from the test matches what I have been teaching in class, yes?

1 comment:

languagemcr said...

YES!!!
What you are doing in class matches your assessments. Problem occurs with the standardized tests that don't match what is happening in class. What can be done about them? Should we even be assessing kindergarten kids in this formal way?
Marilee