Monday, December 8, 2008

Content Area Assessment

O’Malley & Pierce Chapter 7: Content Area Assessment

Assessment of content areas was discussed in this chapter. Not only was there discussion on assessment, it included rubrics, checklists, useful information on content area instruction and task ideas to help increase thinking, language, and writing skills. Scaffolding was included, in explaining using it in the content areas, it listed examples in different areas using with/without scaffolding. For every content area that was discussed, it included ways in which a teacher can integrate language, writing, and thinking skills, and most importantly prior knowledge.
In reflecting upon the reading, I was thinking-I am so glad there are other people/researchers trying to make a difference for the minority student! In looking over the figures, and thinking about how to adapt them to my students and class is sometimes overwhelming. I am thinking and reflecting upon how in 5 to 10 years, how will I be feeling? Will I still feel overwhelmed? Will I be reading about research about Yup’ik language revitalization? I am so glad this is the last reading for this class! I am so tired.

1 comment:

languagemcr said...

Sarah,
I'm sensing you are a bit overwhelmed, understandably so. I think you folks haven't gotten the ball rolling but tired or not you'll have to continue to carry that ball for awhile.

Yes, the chapter does a good job showing specifically how you can scaffold.

Marilee